Democracy Gone Astray

Democracy, being a human construct, needs to be thought of as directionality rather than an object. As such, to understand it requires not so much a description of existing structures and/or other related phenomena but a declaration of intentionality.
This blog aims at creating labeled lists of published infringements of such intentionality, of points in time where democracy strays from its intended directionality. In addition to outright infringements, this blog also collects important contemporary information and/or discussions that impact our socio-political landscape.

All the posts here were published in the electronic media – main-stream as well as fringe, and maintain links to the original texts.

[NOTE: Due to changes I haven't caught on time in the blogging software, all of the 'Original Article' links were nullified between September 11, 2012 and December 11, 2012. My apologies.]

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Abused And Kept Like Slaves, Say B.C. Domestic Workers

Two immigrant women employed as live-in domestic help in separate homes in B.C.'s Lower Mainland say they were treated like slaves by their employers and held as virtual captives in their jobs.

One of the women, who worked as a nanny and housekeeper, said she still feared her employers and spoke to CBC News only on the condition that her identity was not revealed.

The other woman, a caregiver for an elderly man with Parkinson's disease, agreed to be interviewed, but would use only her maiden name, Lynn Jose.

Both workers ended up at the same Vancouver-area Philippine women's transition house, recovering from their ordeals and looking for new work.

Jose, in her early 30s, said she worked, "from 8 p.m. to 8 a.m. in the morning. So, worked 12 hours, but you only got paid 8 hours. I haven't been paid yet for that time."

The nanny, also in her early 30s, told a similar story.

"I was working like a slave because from 6:30 [a.m.] until 9:30 in the evening, you cannot sit, you cannot rest," said the woman, who declined to reveal even her first name.

"After the children left [for school], I had to run upstairs, cleaning the bathroom, the kitchen and all the rooms downstairs and upstairs," she said.

She said her only escape from child care and cleaning 16 hours a day was getting fired. She said her boss let her go rather than give her time off for an operation on her foot, she said.

Surveillance cameras and alarms


Each of the women said they were constantly watched by surveillance cameras inside the homes and were not allowed to use the electronic security systems, which meant if they came and went, they would trip the burglar alarms.

"You weren't allowed to leave the house?" the second woman was asked. "No," she said. "Even the code number at the alarm -- they were not trusting me any way."

Jose cared for a bedridden man, and said his wife attacked her more than once.

"She punched me here," Lynn Jose said, pointing to her shoulder. "And [she] grabbed me on my arm and she pressed harder and left two black and blue [marks] on my arm."

She said she was not able to go to the police because the alarm system prevented her from returning to the house if she left.

Jose said the second attack occurred when she asked to go to the mall on her day off.

"She went towards me, scratching me on my shoulders then she punched me here," she said, again pointing to her right shoulder.

Sister called police


Jose texted her sister overseas, who called police in the Lower Mainland.

"[The police] asked me if I want to do further investigation. I said, 'No, I just want to leave. I am afraid,'" said Lynn-Jose.

"And the police said, 'Do you know anybody here? Do you have a community or a church?' I said, 'No.' I told them I don't know anybody here."

Jose had been employed at the home for only a few weeks before leaving the home. Now unemployed, she is desperate to find a better job with a new family.

Both of the domestic workers said they were threatened with deportation and violence.

The nanny said the elderly man she was caring for held her by the arms and told her she was dumb.

"I said, 'This is not good. You're treating me like an animal.'"

The nanny said the man's wife told him, "You know, honey, we treat them as an idiot, not a human."

Police told Jose the courts would be unlikely to convict her employers because the injuries to her arms were consistent with those suffered by people who were constantly lifting and moving a patient.

The nanny said she was not interested in pursuing any abuse-related charges. Like Jose, all she wanted was to be paid the hours of overtime she is still owed.

Origin
Source: Huffington 

No comments:

Post a Comment