Democracy Gone Astray

Democracy, being a human construct, needs to be thought of as directionality rather than an object. As such, to understand it requires not so much a description of existing structures and/or other related phenomena but a declaration of intentionality.
This blog aims at creating labeled lists of published infringements of such intentionality, of points in time where democracy strays from its intended directionality. In addition to outright infringements, this blog also collects important contemporary information and/or discussions that impact our socio-political landscape.

All the posts here were published in the electronic media – main-stream as well as fringe, and maintain links to the original texts.

[NOTE: Due to changes I haven't caught on time in the blogging software, all of the 'Original Article' links were nullified between September 11, 2012 and December 11, 2012. My apologies.]

Thursday, June 20, 2013

How the PMO story unfolded

When I answered a call Monday from the prime minister’s office, my first thought was Stephen Harper was planning to come to Barrie.

I have been a journalist here for more than two decades and have only heard from the offices of high-ranking politicians when they wanted coverage of a campaign visit or were coming to Barrie to make an announcement.

As I listened to the woman on the other end of the phone explain why she was calling, it quickly became obvious to me Harper was not coming. The caller, who identified herself as Erica Meekes, told me she wanted to send information regarding Justin Trudeau’s speaking engagement at Georgian College. She would send the information along if I agreed to identify the PMO as a “source.”

I thought it was a joke, someone pretending to be from the PMO.

I didn’t agree to the terms of the request because I didn’t know what the content was and I had no relationship with the person on the other end phone.

We had not contacted the PMO in search of this information. The situation was very odd.

I told the communications officer to send the information to me, saying I would have a look at it. That was the only promise I made.

When I received the email, subject line Justin Trudeau – Charity Losses, along with an explanation outlining the reason why it was sent and five attachments, the real story unfolded.

If this was real, it wasn’t right. Why would the PMO, not the Conservative Party, be sending us unsolicited background information on Trudeau?

I asked reporter Laurie Watt to contact Meekes by email and phone to make sure she was actually employed by the PMO.

Watt interviewed the communications officer by phone and contacted Barrie MP Patrick Brown via email as he was sitting in the House of Commons.

Original Article
Source: simcoe.com
Author: Lori Martin 

No comments:

Post a Comment